Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: IP address allocation

From: stephen at unix dot za dot net <stephen () unix za net>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 09:10:57 +0200 (SAST)

firstly, like someone else said, its for a bit of structure, so that the
necessary people can see in what region the IP is in.

secondly, yes normally unused IPs have dns entries, especially for dial-up
users and DSL users.  an isp i worked at previously have
modem1.ispname.co.za to modem99.ispname.co.za, so that when users dialled
up (seeing as DSL "dials" to some extent), they would have a hostname.

just because an IP resolves to a hostname, doesn't mean its in use, heck,
these days with security being such an issue, pinging a host and not
getting a reply doesn't mean the host is down, just means ICMP replies
aren't finding their way back to you.  a lot of larger companies  (from
what i've seen/experienced in .za anyway) & universities use DHCP for
workstations, and if they were handing out public IPs, chances are they'ld
have some sort of DNSing in place, so might as well allocate IP's
z.z.z.a-z.z.z.b for example once off.

in the case of a larger company/varsity, i'm sure they too would have
seperate scopes for each dept. for admin purposes.