Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Re: Hunting for Mr Badmouth

From: "Bob Walker" <bobwalker8 () comcast net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 13:35:25 -0500

Thanks for the input.

Yes, my original post WAS sent from a personal address, because I am a
private contractor who has been asked to assist in finding this
individual.  I have no idea what steps the company in question is
pursuing, nor do I care.

Perhaps I should have provided more details in my original posting, but
to have provided too much detail would have, IMO, "given away the game",
so to speak.  Do I want this jerk to know I'm looking for him?  Duh.

Having said that, from your post Rockit, I have no idea why you're on a
security list, since it's obvious you support anarchy rather than order.
The internet is an extension of our society, and should be held to the
same standards as the rest of society.  If I want to splash graffiti on
a wall downtown, I shouldn't be clamoring that it's a freedom of speech
issue when I get locked up.

Do I believe the person I'm trying to find has committed a libelous
offense?  IANAL, but yes, I do.  Is the company in question prepared to
charge this individual with libel?  Don't know, don't care, that's above
my paygrade.  But when you make a charge, on a financial message board,
that the product/service provided by the company is unsafe and the
persons in charge of providing said product/service are knowledgeable of
neglect on the part of workers under them, and provide absolutely no
proof of said charge, I'd be inclined to say that's libelous.  In this
case, there is a government agency responsible for oversight of said
product/service, and to my knowledge, he has not gone the route of
informing the responsible government agency of the problems he described
in his posting.

To all who responded to my original posting in a thoughtful manner, I
thank you very much.  I was inclined to believe there was no way to
identify the person without a court order, and your comments have
confirmed that.  Again, thanks.

Regards,
Bob