Security Basics mailing list archives

IPSEC Tunnel vs Transport Mode

From: Robin Atler <ratler () enter net>
Date: 23 Apr 2003 13:51:12 -0000

I'm setting up a VPN.  I've read some documentation that states, rather
generically, that IPSEC tunnels can run in either tunnel or transport
mode.  Transport mode simply protects the message contents while tunnel
mode protects the message contents and the original IP headers.  I'm using
Cisco gear which says that transport mode only works when the tunnel
endpoints are the conversing devices.  This doesn't seem quite right to me
and I don't understand why that would be required.  Can anyone explain
that or is paticular behavior this simply a "cisco-ism"?

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Europe, May 12-15 in Amsterdam, the
world's premier event for IT and network security experts.  The two-day
Training features 6 hand-on courses on May 12-13 taught by professionals.
The two-day Briefings on May 14-15 features 24 top speakers with no vendor
sales pitches.  Deadline for the best rates is April 25.  Register today to
ensure your place.  http://www.securityfocus.com/BlackHat-security-basics