Security Basics mailing list archives

PGP versus PKWare

From: Marty <marti () videotron ca>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 20:22:31 -0400

Hi,

We are looking at sending confidential information over the Net and we
want to encrypt the data.

PREREQUISITES :

1- The solution must run on IBM AIX...

2- No freeware (company policy)

We've looked at different solutions. Two of them kept our attention.

PGP

PKWare

The PGP version is expensive (10K$) because for AIX it comes bundeled
with other applications we don't need.

PKWare is the entreprise version that encrypts with AES.

http://www.pkware.com/products/enterprise/unix/features-pro.html

PKWare has a nice looking Lotus Notes interface. Have any of you used it
before?

The questions are :

1- Is this type of encyption secure enough?

2- Wich one of the two should we go for?

---

:-)

Merci

Marty!

Pensée de la semaine :  Qui se permet de pleurer pourra mieux voir.

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Europe, May 12-15 in Amsterdam, the
world's premier event for IT and network security experts.  The two-day
Training features 6 hand-on courses on May 12-13 taught by professionals.
The two-day Briefings on May 14-15 features 24 top speakers with no vendor
sales pitches.  Deadline for the best rates is April 25.  Register today to
ensure your place.  http://www.securityfocus.com/BlackHat-security-basics