Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Something new?

From: "James Lee Gromoll" <jgromoll () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 12:40:41 -0700

I am little confused on this one? If the users are internal and allready validating on an internal server, why do you want another level of authorization? If the stations and servers physically connect via the same wire/hub, how is them validating on another device help increase you security. What is the threat? If you want to isolate and bottleneck your traffic through a single device, then you could set up win2K RRAS as a router and physically tie traffic from internal users to one side and the servers on the other. In theory you are suppose to be able to run that win2K server as a DC in its own domain and you could have a seperate domain for the other servers. Unfortunately running as a RRAS and a DC in the same box doesn't work real well. I think the RRAS server can pass authentication on to another server so you could stay with the same domain structure and use the current servers to authenticate.

You could just use a regular router, or you could use a firewall type device. Sounds like you want to treat your internal users as a RED or Restricted zone and your servers as your safe zone. That's sort of a backwards firewall. A firewall might be cheaper than a win2k server package.

This is what I see

Internet----Firewall----Servers----Firewall----Clients
Red Zone----------------Green Zone------------Red Zone

If the big concern is to protect the Web Servers and other internet exposed Servers from the users then You need to set up a DMZ.