Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Legislation on employee monitoring

From: Kevin Saenz <ksaenz () spinaweb com au>
Date: 03 Apr 2003 09:22:07 +1000

Jacob,

I think you misunderstand the point. You can still run IDS and other
tools to monitor "hacking" attempts. I read Tervor's email as
you can not use the logs of proxy server to point out people using
the web for "the likes of visiting porn sites or recieving emails whilst
at work.

Which is still a grey area in Australia. There have been a couple of
court cases reinstating employees for receiving porn in their emails or
visiting porn sites.

Kevin

They should also include firewalls and Cisco ACLs.

EU better not complain when their systems are compromised...
There has been a bit of publicity lately that new EU legislation would
make it illegal to monitor email content, run an IDS system and watch
web activity.

I have looked through the various acts in place but cannot see anything
specific.

Has anyone heard more or does anyone have a few URLs that might give
more details on these 'rumours'

Many thanks
Trevor Cushen

SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam,
viruses and malicious code. Safeguard your business
critical communications. Download a free 30-day trial:
http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-security-basics