Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: multicast connection trials from a home machine - is it regular?

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:24:32 -0700

Normally multicast packages are not routed by default. I'm
not quite sure if any ISP supports it. If they do, you are lucky.
Otherwise you may need to install and configure a multicast
router in your home scenario and  setup a tunnel to an
multicast endpoint.

Jan Falkenreck

Normally multicast packages are not routed by default.

  I'm not sure that this is a true statement.  On LANs without
IGMP support, what seems to happen "by default" is that when a
station sends a multicast packet, it goes to the router, which
attempts to deliver it by broadcasting it to at least the subnet
it arrived from.
  (And this is why the multicast option in Symantec's Ghost tends
to max out the router and flood the entire subnet....)

  It's not correct to assert that "network does not 'support'
multicast" equates to "multicast traffic is harmlessly dropped".

David Gillett

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Europe, May 12-15 in Amsterdam, the
world's premier event for IT and network security experts.  The two-day
Training features 6 hand-on courses on May 12-13 taught by professionals.
The two-day Briefings on May 14-15 features 24 top speakers with no vendor
sales pitches.  Deadline for the best rates is April 25.  Register today to
ensure your place.  http://www.securityfocus.com/BlackHat-security-basics