Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: multicast connection trials from a home machine - is it regular?

From: "ruben" <rubenb () arnet com ar>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 21:32:10 -0300

"1.  Do you have a default gateway specified?"

Not specified by me. This machine is at home, dialups to an ISP, then it's
their way to the Net.

"2.  Have you installed any of the "routing"* protocols?(OSPF, RIP, etc)
[If so, WHY???]

I've not installed anything ----knowningly... If they *are* in this machine,
where can I find them? Under which names?

"You do not need them unless your box is acting as a router for a
complex/dynamic network."

Well, that is what I suspect. That this box was used as a router somehow...
by means of an intrusion.
I'm ready to do a good old Format C:, but I was trying to learn something
about what was done, prior to erase the clues. I think that this "calling
multicast" is an abnormal behavior for a *home* Win98 machine. The line
"Owner: Tcpip Kernel Driver" in the firewall log maybe means "something" is
trying to go out.

David Gillett
Thanks for your time, David. I *do* appreciate the effort to enlighten me in
this issue. Anybody out there will maybe tell something before I format the
disk? Anti-Backdoor scanners for Win98? (Freeware-trialware preferred.
Former teachers as I am are not big spenders...)
Ruben.-

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Europe, May 12-15 in Amsterdam, the
world's premier event for IT and network security experts.  The two-day
Training features 6 hand-on courses on May 12-13 taught by professionals.
The two-day Briefings on May 14-15 features 24 top speakers with no vendor
sales pitches.  Deadline for the best rates is April 25.  Register today to
ensure your place.  http://www.securityfocus.com/BlackHat-security-basics