Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: how to hide e-mail header information?

From: "SB CH" <chulmin2 () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 00:37:30 +0000

First so sorry for bothering you.
But I'm not a spammer just but security engineer of the company.
and I have read this article to stop spam at mail server.

http://www.stopspam.org/email/headers/headers.html

at this article, written like this.

"Another trick used by forgers of email, this one increasingly common, is to add spurious Received: headers before sending the offending mail. This means that the hypothetical email sent from turmeric.com might have Received: lines that looked something like this: Received: from galangal.org ([104.128.23.115]) by mail.bieberdorf.edu (8.8.5)...

Obviously, the last two lines are complete nonsense, written by the sender and attached to the message before it was sent. "

I just would like to know how this way is possible. Because I think that security relaters should know about the attack way well to defence the attack or fake etc.

Again, I'm not a spammer.

Thanks in advance.

MSN Messenger를 통해 온라인상에 있는 친구와 대화를 나누세요. http://messenger.msn.co.kr

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Europe, May 12-15 in Amsterdam, the world's premier event for IT and network security experts. The two-day Training features 6 hand-on courses on May 12-13 taught by professionals. The two-day Briefings on May 14-15 features 24 top speakers with no vendor sales pitches. Deadline for the best rates is April 25. Register today to ensure your place. http://www.securityfocus.com/BlackHat-security-basics ----------------------------------------------------------------------------