Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: how to hide e-mail header information?

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 12:45:31 -0700

I use Outlook express for MUA and any receiver from me can
know my computer
name and IP address just by clicking right button on my message.
So, I would like to hide e-mail header information.
How to hide or inject false information at e-mail header from me.

  I use a telephone for my voice communication, and any receiver
can know my telephone number by looking at their Caller-ID box.
Sure, I can have my telephone company block outgoing Caller-ID,
but several of my friends have THEIR phones set not to accept
calls without Caller-ID -- because they perceive significant risk
(real in some cases, perhaps only perceived in others) that they
will be subjected to abuse ranging from violent stalkers to
annoying telemarketers.

  Your best bet is an anonymizing relay or remailer.  There used
to be a very good one based in Finland, but they were closed down
when the Church of Scientology sued them to obtain the real email
address of one of their subscribers.  The last time I used Verio,
their email servers were discarding all verifiable origin/routing
headers, but (a) they may have learned the error of their ways,
and (b) some providers limit which SMTP servers you can send via.

David Gillett

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Europe, May 12-15 in Amsterdam, the
world's premier event for IT and network security experts.  The two-day
Training features 6 hand-on courses on May 12-13 taught by professionals.
The two-day Briefings on May 14-15 features 24 top speakers with no vendor
sales pitches.  Deadline for the best rates is April 25.  Register today to
ensure your place.  www.blackhat.com