Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Spy Software

From: Harlan Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 07:51:51 -0700 (PDT)

Whilst this is the case, it should be borne in mind
that if employees are
being spied on, it is certainly morally the case
that employees should be
aware, and perhaps in some places, legally the case.
 Anything like this
should probably be in the employees contract.

Perhaps not so much the contract, but more
specifically in the employee handbook or policies.
Where I work, and at places I've seen, we've got a
consent to monitoring statement produced by HR.  All
employees are required to sign a statement that
they've read and understand the statement.

Regardless, if the boss tells the sysadmin to install
the software, the legal ramifications become an issue
for the boss...not the sysadmin.  The sysadmin may ask
the boss if the legal ramifications have been
addressed, or may even protest or quit.  But in the
end, it's the boss's issue.

If this is really the case, then the need for
*covert* spying software is
negated, due to the fact that the employee will know
that the software is there anyway.

If the employee knows it's there, then it isn't
covert.

Harlan