Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Building a 'security consultant' laptop

From: "Con or" <csibley () inbox net>
Date: 11 Apr 2003 21:24:02 -0000

Here is a list of tools that I put on machines of mine before I audit from a network perspective:
nmap
nessus
vlad
ettercap
superscan
enum
dsniff
ForensicToolkit
kismet

Then d/l as many pieces of exploit code as you can find specific to packages and OSes on their network and put them in
a convenient dir.  It is a good idea to have a full install of redhat so you have gcc, make, mysql and other generic
information gathering services available to you.
Good places for exploit code include packetstormsecurity.nl and netsys.com.
Happy Hunting,
Conor