Security Basics mailing list archives

Building a 'security consultant' laptop

From: <mr_polanco () hotmail com>
Date: 10 Apr 2003 14:21:29 -0000

I wanted your input on how should I go about setting up a laptop that will
be used for security testing purposes (penetration testing, forensics,
etc). Also planning to add a pcmcia wireless card (any recommended?

This is the
laptop:http://www.dell.com/us/en/bsd/products/model_inspn_inspn_1100.htm

I'm planning to dual boot Red Hat 9.0 and Windows 2k, along with
installing the usual tools like Ethereal, nmap, tcpdump, etc.

What else should I add?  Are these the recomended OS, or would you put
something else instead? In other words, if you were to walk into a company
for a consulting job, what would you want to have on this laptop?

Thanks to all!

Is SPAM over-loading your e-mail server, disk space or bandwidth?
SurfControl E-Mail Filter is flexible, intelligent and policy-driven
protection.
http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-security-basics2
Download your free fully functional trial, complete with 30-days of free technical support.
Stop SPAM before it stops you.