Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Personal Firewalls

From: Eric Brown <ericbrow () ziplip com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 12:39:52 -0700 (PDT)

I'd like to chime in here becuase I've used Sygate (both personal and pro), Zone Alarm (both personal and pro) and
Agnatium (both personal and pro).  I've had both good and bad expirences with all.  I liked the personal version of
Agnatium best.  I feel it was incredibly easy to use, but I could also get deep into the nitty gritty of it if I
wanted.  The pro version did not work, telling me a driver could not be loaded.

Of the pro versions I like ZoneAlarm best.  I use this for my home network.  It's also very easy to configure, but it
doesn't quite have all the functionality that most firewalls do if you really want to get into the details.  I can just
make it work the best of all of them.

I read many great things about Sygate.  The personal edition caused my computer to hang (this was probably more my
problem than anything).  On my home network, the pro version was almost too overwhelming.  First thing I did not like
was the fact that it did not log everything.  After 2 weeks, it said I had been scanned only twice, when I know I
scanned it a dozen times from various external networks.  Second, you have to buy another product in order to share
your internet connection, and this was iffy at best.  Finally the reason I gave up on it was that it was told to allow
a program to go through, and absolutely refused.  I even set it to the most open setting, told it specifically to let
that program out, and it wouldn't.

That's my two cents.
Eric