Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: open proxy

From: Devdas Bhagat <dvb () users sourceforge net>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 16:02:29 +0530

On 30/03/03 12:31 +0200, Joost Ernest wrote:
I have a question regarding to "open proxy". We are using Domino server
as our mail server in a w2k server environment. A week ago we started to
receive a-mail from a Dutch ISP dat our mailserver has been listed in an
Open Proxy Database. As a result of this we can't send e-mail at all...
You have an open proxy on your network. Possibly ISA? Have the proxy
accept requests *only* from your ip block.
With squid (http://www.squid-cache.org), I would do:
acl mylan src 192.168.1.0/24 #This is the netblock for my local LAN
http_access allow mylan #Permit my LAN users to use squid
http_access deny all #Deny everyone

I have started to block some ports explicitly (135, 139, 443, 1080,
etc..) I also read some articles about this subject in which was written
First rule of firewalling:
Block everything,
Open as needed.

that i should use Authentication for every user that wants tos end
E-mail. I know how to configure this in Exchange but i don't know how i
can arrange this with Domino server.
You need to authenticate on the basis of IP addresses, or username
password pairs.

http://www.google.com/search?q=smtp+auth+domino

HTH
Devdas Bhagat

SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam,
viruses and malicious code. Safeguard your business
critical communications. Download a free 30-day trial:
http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-security-basics