Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: open proxy

From: "James P. Schmidt" <zaren () umich edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 12:54:54 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003, Joost Ernest wrote:

I have a question regarding to "open proxy". We are using Domino server
as our mail server in a w2k server environment. A week ago we started to
receive a-mail from a Dutch ISP dat our mailserver has been listed in an
Open Proxy Database. As a result of this we can't send e-mail at all...

Actually, there's no proxy list or anti-spam system in existance (that I
know of) that can stop anyone from SENDING mail, it's just that the users
of these systems refuse to RECEIVE the mail once it gets to their
machines(s).  It's a subtle difference between "they won't let me send my
mail!" and "they won't accept my mail!", but an important one.

   everything gets saved          |UCE/UBE not welcome at this address|
   except for the human soul."    |see http://tinyurl.com/jhb for info|
Rev. Matthew Carey, Vision Temple +-----------------------------------+

SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam,
viruses and malicious code. Safeguard your business
critical communications. Download a free 30-day trial:
http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-security-basics