Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Interesting One

From: "Chris Chandler" <chandlerchrisc () earthlink net>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:05:03 -0500

When they say it can be retrieved if a drive has been formatted up to 30
times, they are probably a little ambitious. Most formats are done using
"format c:" and nothing else. Again, this just removes the pointers.
When I redo a drive, I run a zero fill 3 times over it. Then to test
whether or not data has been completely erased, I run the drive on my
Encase machine. If anything shows up I erase some more.
So your FAST person may be a little ambitious in his/her claims, I know
that just regular formatting can leave a drive recoverable up to about 5
times anyway.

Chris Chandler
A+, Network +, MCSE NT4/2000
Network Security Consultant