Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: TCP DNS requests

From: "Martin Wasson" <martin_wasson () mastercard com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:26:40 -0600

udp is used for normal domain queries. tcp is used for zone transfers and
large queries.  Stopping it at the firewall (tcp/53) can be safe and will
definitely stop any zone transfers, but the occasional DNS query might not
work. It is better to use named.conf to control zone transfers.

M.W.

                      "Carl R

                      Diliberto"               To:       "security-basics" <security-basics () securityfocus com>

                      <cdiliberto@hotma        cc:       (bcc: Martin Wasson/STL/MASTERCARD)

                      il.com>                  Subject:  TCP DNS requests

                      10/30/02 07:46 AM

We are reporting TCP based DNS requests to one of our DNS servers coming
from internal, client IP addresses.  My manager would like to block the TCP
packets.  What or why would their be random TCP packets?  We monitored
several clients and it appears it only needs UDP.

Thanks
Carl