Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Is SSH worth it??

From: David Corking <david.corking2 () dol net>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 15:55:38 -0500

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Johan De Meersman wrote:

You can also allow root ssh from localhost
only, adding a tiny bit more security still by not su-ing but ssh-ing to
root.

Never thought of this -- good stuff.  Will using ssh-agent instead of
typing ssh passphrase into the remote server hinder attackers ??

I don't think so - ssh-agent is useful on your actual workstation, when
you have to do regular logins - it caches the passphrase without the

Thanks.

To get this tiny benefit, where should I store the private certificate
for ssh-ing to root?  On the local workstation or the remote server?

David