Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Is SSH worth it??

From: David Corking <david.corking2 () dol net>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 23:49:49 -0500

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Chris Santerre wrote:

You know I always wondered about this method. su - has you input a password.
So If a sysadmin is on a cable modem at home, logs in as normal user w/ ssh,
then does an su - and enters password, How is that any different? You are
being sniffed on the cable network.

But it is encrypted in the ssh tunnel

Keep in mind you can now sniff SSH
packets. So how could this be more secure?

Randy is right (and I posted a more complete discussion elsewhere on
this thread tonight -- the thread seems to have been split in two so I
missed Randy's note before I wrote that.)

Although you can sniff SSH packets you don't know what is in them (or
do you?)  There is not yet a published theoretical way to break the
encryption in SSH V2.0 protocol.

So wouldn't a hacker now have
both the first user pass and the su - ?

No.  Now if the cracker broke into your home PC (through a back
orifice trojan for example) then Chris is right - no amount of
encryption or layers of passwords do any good -- the whole lot is
compromised.

Encryption really only protects you from interception (sniffing) *not*
local compromises.  (Cue smart cards and OTP technology ....)