Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Newbie: RedHat 8 or OpenBSD??

From: "Michael Vaughan" <list () predator-hunter com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 13:52:20 -0500

In answer to your question..."It Depends".

It will depend on how experienced your engineers are with Linux.
OpenBSD can be a pain to install and configure.  RedHat on the other
hand is comparatively easy to setup. OpenBSD from what I understand is
the most secure version out of the box but again securing it 'could' be
a pain. However, you can get scripts to harden Redhat fairly well. In
addition, You CAN further Harden Redhat by patching the Kernel:
http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/index.html thereby further hardening the
Linux server.  As to which version is 'more secure', that is (IMHO)
entirely subjective and dependant on the experience of those that will
be setting up and managing the server(s).

Regards,
-Michael Vaughan
mvaughan () predator-hunter com

The information contained in this message may contain privileged and
confidential information and is intended only for the internal company
use of the individual or entity named above.  If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent
responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any examination, distribution or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited.  Furthermore, any and all
recipients of this message are prohibited from engaging in the
unauthorized dissemination of the information contained herein to
person(s) outside the company.   If you have received this communication
in error, please notify sender immediately.