Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Newbie: RedHat 8 or OpenBSD??

From: "Mark M. Andrich" <mandrich () 4fts com>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 12:42:41 -0600

As a fellow newbie: I've spent the past few months experimenting with our webhosting software on both Suse Linux 8.0,
RedHat 7.3, and FreeBSD 4.6. Both Linux and BSD variants can be used securely (with the proper configuration) for web
hosting and shopping carts. We currently run ours on the RH 7.3 without issue.

However from a learning curve standpoint I've found that BSD is better to work with. The main difference between BSD
and Linux is that Linux is a kernel that the different distros build their OS around and everyone has their own way of
doing things. BSD is the whole operating system (from what I understand) remains truest to Unix. The end result is that
what you learn on BSD should apply well to any flavor of Linux (with the exception of the changes made by the each
distro) My personal preference though.....