Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Protect folder data.

From: Richard Caley <rjc () interactive co uk>
Date: 29 Nov 2002 18:04:53 +0000

In article <F5B0vIrk3jQDz4WolWa00009198 () hotmail com>, tony572000  (t) writes:

t> I have some highly confidential data that I frequently access on in a
t> folder that is on my desktop computer (ie win2k).  I want to make sure
t> no one but me will able to see this data.

Unless I have missed it, no one seems to have mentioned the
possibility of putting the data on a removable medium and locking it
away securely when not in use. Of course, someone could set the
computer to intercept the data when accessed, but the same would be
true for encryption, and I certainly trust a good sturdy locked box
more than any encrypted filesystem. You could do both of course,
encrypted filesystem on a removable drive.

If the data really _is_ highly confidential, rather than that being
rhetoric, then better still to dedicate a machine to it (say buy a
cheap laptop just for this data) and lock the whole damn thing away so
no one but you touches it. If necessary, import and export data (very
carefully) on floppys. Make sure you dispose of the floppys with
extreme prejudice.

--
Mail me as MYFIRSTNAME () MYLASTNAME org uk        _O_