Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Protect folder data.

From: "Nero, Nick" <Nick.Nero () disney com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 13:59:21 -0500

Yep, you are correct.  It is RC4-40bit, I believe.  Problem is, it is
NOT just password protected.  It uses a mini-PKI (unless you have a real
PKI) and only that user's cert or the admin's can recover it.  If both
certs are lost, so is your data.

As a side, the laptop recovered last fall by a reporter from CNN that
was formally a computer used by Al-Qaeda had the hard drives encrypted
with Win2k EFS.  The FBI was able to brute force the 40bit keyspace in a
week and discover the data!

Nick Nero
CISSP, MCSE, CCNA