Security Basics mailing list archives

Internet Adult (illegal) Content Filtering - request for opinion

From: Karmil () zadco co ae
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 09:52:58 +0400

Hi All,

Internet Illegal content viewing has always been an issue for corporate
organisations.  Even a properly configured proxy server will not deny
someone receiving porn content through a web based email account.
Eventually, such content viewing during office hours leads to decrease in
productivity. :)

In searching for a solution to such a problem, I recently came across a
software called "iCom Stealth".  However,  intelligence regarding both this
software and its developing organisation is obscure.  No address or contact
details exist for that organisation.  Besides, this software is free as the
organisation believes "that this kind of software should be free."

And since I am not very proficient at reverse engineering,  it's quite
difficult for me to determine what's going on behind the code.

The software is very easy to install and does NOT allow for "ANY" option at
all.  You just have to install it.  Under W2k, it runs a service named
"thdetr.exe" which uses approximately 4MB of RAM.  In their FAQ, this
organisation has included the following:

        "Our filter relies on our unique artificial intelligence system,
composed of the IPR (Intelligent Pattern Recognition) engine, and the AMS
(Application Monitoring System).  Just blocking a domain is not enough if
the user knows how to mask or hide the blocked data.  That's why we opted
for this solution.  Our software will NEVER connect to any site, and will
not gather and/or disclose any kind of personal information."

This is how the software  works.  Whenever an illegal content is being
viewed (either from a site or a web-based email site), the content starts to
load in the Internet Explorer window but IE closes after 1 or 2 seconds.  If
you try to access the same site again, the same thing happens.  The page
loads and then the IE window closes.  I have not tested this software with
any other browser apart from IE.  Please note that this software also works
if obscene language is used on MIRC and yahoo messenger.

The software is really effective, but as i mentioned, you never know when
some malicious code is running in the background.

Here's the link to their site.
http://members.lycos.fr/primefilter/

I am generally very prudent in using freeware, and i tend to extensively
research on the product and organisation and seeking third party opinions
before using it.  But this one, though it is very effective, is at the same
time very obscure.

Does anyone have any idea/opinion about this software?

Thanks.
Karmil