Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: icmp echo-requests?

From: "Eric Schroeder" <ericschroeder () satel com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:37:13 -0700

In my experience, Microsoft operating systems send a lot of pings to the
Master Browser.  Not sure why.

Eric Schroeder

JR <jr () secureity de>
Sent by: <rjuerrens () web de>
11/20/2002 01:21 AM

        To:     security-basics () securityfocus com
        cc:
        Subject:        icmp echo-requests?

Hi everyone,

in my firewall logs I see a lot of echo-requests within the internal
network. Of course, the simplest answer to these events is that pings are
causing these events. But on these machines definitely no pings are
startet to that times. Is it possible that other kind of programs  are
using echo-requests? What kind of programs are using echo-requests and
why? Checking wether the other host ist up? What if the firewall is
filtering echo-requests? The program would think that the host is down...

Greetings!
JR

Erster Klick - SMS versenden, zweiter Klick - die Telefonnummer im
Adressbuch speichern bei: http://freemail.web.de/features/?mc=021151