Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: icmp echo-requests?

From: "Stephane Nasdrovisky" <stephane.nasdrovisky () uniway be>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 10:58:32 +0100

AIX servers seems to ping hosts whenever they receive http, ftp, telnet, ... requests. These requests succeed even if
the client do not answer to the ping.

The most obvious application that are sending echo requests are poor management systems. (I mean, a ping do not tell if
a service is working, it only tells the host ip stack is not completely crashed).

in my firewall logs I see a lot of echo-requests within the internal network. Of course, the simplest answer to these
events is that pings are causing these events. But on these machines definitely no pings are startet to that times.
Is it possible that other kind of programs  are using echo-requests? What kind of programs are using echo-requests
and why? Checking wether the other host ist up? What if the firewall is filtering echo-requests? The program would
think that the host is down...