Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Basic Question only

From: "Richard H. Cotterell" <seec () mail retina ar>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 16:11:30 -0300

When you reference port 53 you do not reference what protocol is handling
the request.  It would be interesting for you to post this fact in order
for some list member to provide a valid answer.

As to port 8 (Ait), this is an ICMP Ping port.

Ref: Christopher Rea <chris_rea () hotmail com>'s
     message dated 31 October 2002, 15:52 hours.

I am sure that this is a silly question, but who are these guys that keep
trying my firewall on port 53 (DNS) and port 8. I am sure they must be the
good guys, but why do they keep knocking, I only have one DNS server that is
setup for lookup mode ???

66.28.34.130

204.71.35.136

212.62.17.145

64.14.117.10

66.28.12.98

65.119.25.162

205.158.108.194

64.15.251.198

204.176.88.5

208.185.54.14

64.0.96.12

213.61.6.2

--
Richard H. Cotterell  <mailto:seec () mail retina ar>

The mind is its own place, and in itself / Can make a
heaven of hell, a hell of heaven.
  -John Milton (1608-1674) [Paradise Lost]