Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Basic Question only

From: "Joe Klein" <jsklein () mindspring com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 15:25:39 -0500

Christopher,

To begin with, you need to identify who owns the IP address:

You can do this in two way:

1. Use the whois command in UNIX or
2. go to http://ws.arin.net/cgi-bin/whois.pl to look up each of the IP
addresses.

Next you may want to look up this ip address to see if this IP address
or type of scan is chronic throught out the Internet. Go to
www.incidents.org.

At this point, you need to decide, based on your security policy and
your incident handling policy, what to do next.

Joe Klein, CISSP