Security Basics mailing list archives

Popup security sales gimmick

From: "netsec novice" <netsec9 () hotmail com>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 02:53:44 +0000

I ran into this popup and initially it concerned me. I thought I would post it here for confirmation on its validity. It appears to me that this site runs a script that simply displays your c: drive contents rather than actually being able to obtain the information. I could see how it could scare some people though.

Check it out for yourself.
http://www.interneteraser.com/error.html

Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 3 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU= http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_addphotos_3mf