Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Tools for IIS security check

From: "Jimmy Sansi" <jsansi () ritzfoodservice com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 10:05:01 -0800

A couple of quick suggestions (in case you haven't already, since
you didn't mention what precautions you have taken so far)
Make sure your at the latest service pack, and up to date with
hotfixes(windows update usually works for this). Run something
like hfnetchk(now a part of some new security tool they have)
against the machine, read the noted security bulletins and apply
the neccesary patches. MS also has the IIS lockdown tool which
could help.

As you suggested a program to look at available ports is handy,
I happen to use nmap for a quick and dirty look to see what
is open.

Unless you absolutely have to I would put the machine behind
some sort of firewall, or if you can't disable all un-neccesary
services and run some sort of software firewall package.

I don't know if you can 'secure completely' a machine that
is connected to the internet however with a few precautions
your much better off. To better your odds you have to stay
up to date with the latest vulerabilities and keep the machine
patched.

-Jimmy