Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: NetScreen XP and NetMeeting

From: "Sarbjit Singh Gill" <ssgill () gilltechnologies com>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 01:25:32 +0800

Thanks,

I did enable the H.323 service but somehow nothing seem to work. The
interesting bit is that i am running NAT at the NetScreen. When i tried to
connect to a PC (internal) from another PC on the internet, i could see at
the PC on the internet that i was trying to talk to somebody on 192.168.x.z,
which is actually the internal PC's IP.

If you have used netmeeting before you realize that there will be a window
message on the caller's PCs "Waiting for response from  <ip address>. I was
shocked to the see the internal IP of the internal PC in this window. How
could NetScreen running NAT allow an internal ip (192.168.z.x) "escape" into
the net and be seen by the caller.

Cheers
Gill