Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Providing Visitor Access

From: "Robinson, Sonja" <SRobinson () HIPUSA com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 09:56:17 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Sinha, Amitabh (Amit) [mailto:asinha3 () agere com]
Sent: Monday, December 09, 2002 11:21 AM
To: 'CTillett () harcourt com'; wbjw () mindspring com
Cc: jon kintner; Rick Darsey;
security-basics () securityfocus com;
ssgill () gilltechnologies com; wbjw () mindspring com
Subject: Providing Visitor Access

This brings up some interesting questions.

Would there be any legal issue with allowing open access from
within your company (for this restrictive network)?

Absolutely.  Anything done within your network you can potentially be held
liable for.  Harrassment, stalking, porn, hacking, spam, etc.  It's a due
diligence thing and many companies, especially those under Grahm,m Leach
Bliley and HIPAA have serious responsibilties and consequences.  Also, there
are some potential new issues regrading liability for Wireless networks,
whether privately or publicly available (incl. the home users).  There was
an article in Wired yesterday on that.

Is web
type access going through a proxy that is filtering? (Could
the company be liable if something illegal is done from the
company owned IP space (child porn etc.)?

Absolutely.  Child porn is a felony period - any instance must be reported
to LEO.  Regular porn can set up an environment of sexual harrassment and
leave you open to lawsuits from your own employees,etc..  You are
responsible for your users actions to some extent.  This depends on due
diligence, security measures in place, etc....but it comes down to what a
jury thinks in a civil case.  I wouldn't want to take it that far,
especially when you will probably lose or settle and either would cost a
bundle.  Prevention is best.  Now think also about if someone takes your
confidential, say medical info, files and send them out on the
Internet....how liable do you think you would be and what kind of award do
you tink the jury would give out???  Unrestricted Internet access is NOT due
diligence.

Any due diligence
issues?? OR if a visitors information is stolen from the
Internet while they were connected from this unrestricted vlan?)

Unrestricted anything is not a wise policy.  Why do users need unrestricted
Internet access?  So they can check their personal e-mail, download music
(copyright violations), surf, shop, waste time, money and bandwidth, gamble,
chat???  Users should be restricte to AUTHORIZED websites that are for
BUSINESS USE only.  Use something like surfcontrol or websense to monitor
and restrict internet access.

Are more and more companies providing this type of
unrestricted access to their visitors?

Absolutely not!  Companies are restricting visitors access!!  Why would you
give a visitor access to your network and your Internet access?  You don't
know them, you haven't background checked them.  You shouldn't allow most of
your own employees this unrestricted access so why grant it to a stranger.
How do you know thisperson isn't stealing confidential info, installing
unauthorized software, etc.?  More companies are realizing they are liable
and are restricting access across the board, not opening it up.

How are others doing
this? Is there an industry standard or a general practice ...

Thanks,
Amit