Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Providing Visitor Access

From: CTillett () harcourt com
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 12:47:25 -0500

Good questions,  I will try to make our solution more clear....

First, only authorized vendors are allowed to use this restricted VLAN.
They have to sign the same agreement to use our network as any employee,
contractor, etc.  Second, we permit HTTP through our content controls and
IPSEC on a case by case basis.  We cannot guarantee that their content will
not be stolen, so that is their responsibility.   We are simply providing a
transport so that our vendors can work with us.  In the future, we are
looking at just providing a DSL connection that is not connected to our
network at all.

Chris

                    "Sinha,
                    Amitabh              To:     "'CTillett () harcourt com'"
                    (Amit)"               <CTillett () harcourt com>, wbjw () mindspring com
                    <asinha3@agere       cc:     jon kintner <jon.kintner () lvcm com>, Rick Darsey
                    .com>                 <rdarsey () aims1 com>, security-basics () securityfocus com,
                                          ssgill () gilltechnologies com, wbjw () mindspring com
                    12/09/2002           Subject:     Providing Visitor Access
                    11:20 AM

This brings up some interesting questions.

Would there be any legal issue with allowing open access from within your
company (for this restrictive network)? Is web type access going through a
proxy that is filtering? (Could the company be liable if something illegal
is done from the company owned IP space (child porn etc.)? Any due
diligence
issues?? OR if a visitors information is stolen from the Internet while
they
were connected from this unrestricted vlan?)

Are more and more companies providing this type of unrestricted access to
their visitors? How are others doing this? Is there an industry standard or
a general practice ...

Thanks,
Amit