Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: RTP player - a suggestion

From: Erik de Jong <erikdejong () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 21:26:09 +0100

@Peter Budny: If you would be able to write a step by step comparison that
would be a great help. I think more use cases/workflows are important input
when thinking about a redesign.

Bugzilla has plenty of examples on issues with RTP:
https://bugs.wireshark.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?
quicksearch=rtp&list_id=41643

I have attached a small capture with several RTP streams in one SIP call, I
think we could probably use this while discussing this subject further.
IMHO the biggest problems compared to GTK are:
- No pause
- Indicator not showing where we are in time when time of day is checked
- Other strange behavior eg when picking 2 random streams from the sample
capture and playing sometimes plays the two at the same time when they
should be after each other, or only one is played and the indicator starts
in the middle of the timeline
- Selecting streams does not work in the player window (ie select a certain
stream to play and don't play unselected streams)

And for a better user experience we ought to have the following features
added:
- Seeking
- Selecting more than 2 streams from the RTP streams dialog (now only works
from the VoIP calls dialog, which means that a supported signalling
protocol must be present)
- Exporting audio with playback timing parameters, maybe export audio from
the player?

Regards,
Erik