Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: The possibility of a curses based Wireshark

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 14:53:25 -0800

On Nov 28, 2014, at 2:23 PM, Stephen Fisher <sfisher () SDF ORG> wrote:

Now that we've gone ahead and allowed C++ code into Wireshark after
years of resistance:), will we always require the user to have a C++
compiler available?  That would simplify refactoring the code to call
GTK vs. Qt vs. any other UI-toolkit code.  We could have a single
main.cpp that displays common things like -h usage and -v version
information and then call the UI-toolkit specific code as necessary.

I'd call it wireshark.cpp, but, other than that:

        1) that eliminates the greasy hack we're doing with autotools to force the Qt Wireshark to be linked with the
C++ library

and

        2) should let us (modulo toolkit-specific argv parsing) have more common code between Wireshark with different
UI toolkits

so, if we're willing to have Wireshark always be a C++ program (even if it has a lot of C code in it), that sounds good
to me.