Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: How calculate dealy VoIP communication

From: "RUOFF, LARS (LARS)** CTR **" <lars.ruoff () alcatel-lucent com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 11:29:36 +0100

You can't get it directly.
Unless you have a capture on both ends and synchronised clocks for both captures. You may then compare send and receive
times.

But there's another way:
Actually, most of the time, RTP endpoints do measure the round-trip delay while in conversation and exchange that
information via RTCP.
So you can watch for RTCP packets in your captures and extract the info from there.
See RFC 3550.

Regards,
Lars Ruoff