Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: help regarding altering the fields of a pcap

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 15:25:08 -0700

On Jun 21, 2010, at 12:58 PM, prashanth s wrote:

I need to alter a few of the fields in the pcap for the higher level protocols such as MAPI and then write those
fields back to the pcap. Could any one please tell me how to do it?

Do it in Wireshark, or do it in some other tool?  We don't, and won't, support that in Wireshark dissectors; they are
forever forbidden from modifying the data they're handed.  If you think you need to do it in Wireshark, please explain
what you're trying to do, and we'll tell you the way it's done (which probably involves creating a new tvbuff with the
modified data and handing that to subdissectors - that's how both decryption, decompression, and fragment reassembly
are done, for example).