Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Missing packet padding bytes on Mac

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter () xs4all nl>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 17:49:55 +0100

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 09:22:50 -0500, "Tatakis, Thomas (Tom)"
<TTatakis () allworx com> wrote:
Hello,

I was recently debugging a CDP protocol issue with version 1.2.3 on a
Mac
platform.  The device I was debugging was adding padding bytes to the
packets to an 8 byte boundary.  These bytes did not show up in the trace
on
the Mac platform.  However, when I used version 1.0.3 on a PC platform,
these bytes did show up as part of the trace.

The Mac trace told me that "108 bytes on wire, 108 bytes captured" when
in
reality there were 112 bytes sent by the device.  The length field in
the
CDP packet only indicates 108 bytes but there are 112 bytes actually
sent
by the device.   The PC trace did indeed indicate "112 bytes on wire,
112
bytes captured".  I've looked for some sort of setup/configuration
property
that might fix the problem but can't seem to find one.  Is there
something
I am missing or is this a known problem (or an unknown problem)?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Tom

Hi,

Sounds like an 32bit FCS at the end of the frame...

Thanks,
Jaap