WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Cookies as the second factor

From: Andrew van der Stock <vanderaj () greebo net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 02:00:06 +1000

You cannot trust the browser. At all.

Back in the day, there was a backdoor placed into the C language to trojan the login program. Whenever the compiler compiled itself, it copied the backdoor.

http://www.acm.org/classics/sep95/

How many compilers today bootstrapped themselves from a compiler related to this compiler? Could you trust a recompilation of the fixed C compiler?

In our case, Javascript is under the direct control of the attacker. They can make JS do ANYTHING they want and they have the source to do so.

Javascript is not a safe environment to compute security tokens. It can only be used in the negative, not the positive validation of a session, and as such is a defense in depth mechanism more than a trustworthy security control.

About the only good use I've seen for client-side JS use is "resource metering", or the application of hard computational algorithms on the client to rate limit brute force attacks to only those attackers with extremely large bot fleets.

Gunter's paper:
http://www.ngssoftware.com/papers/NISR- AntiBruteForceResourceMetering.pdf

thanks,
Andrew