WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: [SPAM] Re: SF new column announcement: How not to respond to a security advisory

From: Andrew van der Stock <vanderaj () greebo net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 01:46:45 +1100

Hi Kurt,

Thanks for the discussion on the SF article, which has been picked up on the Register as well.

First, I will address the Theo de Raadt reality distortion field issue. Theo has a long history of ... um, how to say this politely ... does not suffer fools gladly, and unfortunately he seems to meet a fair few*. I believe this is how OpenBSD originated, for example. Although his message in this instance is most likely correct, it could have been said with a bit more information. It may well have been - we don't know.

I personally believe that Theo's forthrightness is why the OpenBSD cargo cult has so many tin foil hat wearing fan boys (and of course, many serious security people such as yourself :) - they know that Theo will tell it to them straight, even if it doesn't jibe with someone else's preferred level of double speak.

As I've done two security vulnerability releases in my time and worked behind the scenes on a few others, I know there is a lot of pressure from various camps to either release it with klaxons blaring right now, not release it, hide things or generally sweep the issue under the "low" risk banner. I'm certain Theo probably has been asked a thousand times for a quip "right now" about a vulnerability his group doesn't coordinate and control, and he gives them precisely what he thinks at that time. It's almost textbook Faux News journalism applied to vulnerability disclosure - selective quoting and probably selective omissions.

I'd like to hear from the original vulnerability disclosure writers (Red Team Pentesting, http://www.redteam-pentesting.de) for how their correspondence on December 4th - December 6th with Theo went. Maybe there's more to this than is noted in the opinion piece.

Next, moving on to potential replacements for the secure level idea.

Secure level is a hack, like PHP's "safe" mode. It's not really secure, nor is PHP's safe mode "safe". In both cases, properly applied, they are at best a defense in depth measure, at worst, a false sense of security.

Personally, I think porting SE Linux's security domains and mandatory access control are probably a better solution than secure level. It doesn't fix root, but it creates isolation so in effect there are many low privilege "root"s. Coupled with OpenBSD's history of "secure by default" installations, I think this could work if they were prepared to do something about it, rather than just a glib one liner.

However, I've personally found that if access control models are to be of any use, they need to be simple and easily applied. Go into any corporate jungle, and the networks are awash with Everyone Full Control shares with full read write access for all. It's just too hard and expensive to maintain access control at that level, so people just give up.

I don't have the solutions, and I know I don't speak for the OpenBSD crowd, so I'd be interested in hearing from them if they want to reply.

thanks,
Andrew

* I say this as a second hand observer; I've never met or corresponded with Theo. A good friend of mine is heavily involved at the highest levels of NetBSD, and I heard some interesting things in my time which I will not repeat as I cannot verify them, but even Wikipedia's entry for Theo does not disagree with my personal view of Theo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theo_de_Raadt