WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Notes from CISSP class with Dr. Eric Cole

From: <PPowenski () oag com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 07:35:14 +0100

please elaborate on what certification HAS NOT turned into all those
items you cite?
It is the nature of the beast and this industry.

BTW I am a CISSP and worked in the information security field for 20
years before aquiring the CISSP.

Finishing my masters in information security which I also feel is a more
solid foundation in terms of discovering new ideas and overall security
management than being 'certified' in some vendor interpertation of
security or IT for that matter.

The only other group I would pursue in terms of a worthwhile
certification is the SANS series. There are probably others as worthy as
SANS but who has the time to keep track. There develops another problem
and where does it end.

Do you believe any vendor firewall, IDS, IPS, OS Platform certification
enlightens you on overall network security management?