WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: OWASP Top Ten - My Case For Updating It

From: Saqib Ali <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 23:24:34 -0700

On 7/9/05, Mark Curphey <mark () curphey com> wrote:
I think the OWASP Top Ten needs a serious re-think.
i agree!!! :)

novice companies will use the Top Ten as a testing yard stick. The PCI
adoption is a dangerous issue that demonstrates this point. When MasterCard
were hacked the first thing the company did was to say they passed the PCI
tests. This will be the case with the OWASP Top Ten.

i disagree on this point. I don't think this will ever be the case.
PCI is a standard that Merchants and Service Providers are "required"
to follow. This is not the case of the OWASP Top Ten. OWASP does not
require any website to implement the Top 10, neither can it.  Thus
OWASP Top 10 can not be used as a scapegoat.

--
In Peace,
Saqib Ali