WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: The Original Web Security Mailing List

From: Jeremiah Grossman <jeremiah () whitehatsec com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 18:10:16 -0700

comments inline:

On Monday, May 9, 2005, at 03:53  PM, Arian J. Evans wrote:

I would like to point out that there is an existing list with a large membership
for this topic located at webappsec () securityfocus com.

While I'm not sure of the actual size of webappsec@sf list, the traffic has been limited and slow just the same for quite some time. But as you probably know, there is top-notch WebAppSec conversation occurring all over. Just not in a public-list forum where it would be of exceptional value to a larger audience. WASC, through a network members and contributors, felt we could increase community discussion by gathering a large contingent of organizations and leading experts to cover a larger array of web application security topics.

If you are dealing with application security related compromise issues,
webapp or otherwise, I'd include the sf list at a minimum (in addition to
questions about any of the topics below).

If subscribers feel the need to cross-post amongst the two lists, they should feel free to do so. Several lists such as secprog and sc-l are similarly focused and coexist nicely.

webappsec () securityfocus com is the home of the OWASP (www.owasp.org)
mailing list which addresses the same topics listed below. WASC (below)
is a new organization predominantly organized by web application "security"
product-vendors. The OWASP organization is predominantly organized by
consulting services vendors.

Your definition of OWASP (as a participant) may be true enough, but is certainly not accurate for WASC. Today WASC includes a wide variety of contributing industry practitioners (enterprise and government) and vendors (scanners, firewalls, service providers, consultants, etc.) Member and contributor numbers have expanded exceptionally fast during our first year to include developers, quality assurance, and security professionals.

Definitely worth utilizing both lists and keeping
in mind potential for bias (e.g.-for or against automated widgets) on both lists.

The moderation of our list will have no bias for or against any particular kind product or methodology. Our goal is open dialog amongst the subscribers and conclusions drawn by the reader. We want to be as hands-off as possible as this enables the best information exchange.

Since most of this list's traffic is L3/L4 I'm not sure how helpful either list will be for the Intrusion topic, but if the subject of another Santy type worm comes up there's peoples on both those lists with strong appsec knowledge.

-ae