WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Proposal to anti-phishing

From: Rogan Dawes <discard () dawes za net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 08:56:46 +0100

Lyal Collins wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Rogan Dawes [mailto:discard () dawes za net] Sent: Saturday, 15 January 2005 3:05 AM
To: Rafael San Miguel
Cc: webappsec () securityfocus com; Enrique.Diez () dvc es
Subject: Re: Proposal to anti-phishing

[snip]

Please take a look at the thread that starts
http://seclists.org/lists/webappsec/2004/Oct-Dec/0291.html

and especially <http://seclists.org/lists/webappsec/2004/Oct-Dec/0347.html>
where I explain why I believe SSL client certificates are really the only practical solution to preventing phishing.

[snip]
Well, there may be one other good option to stop phishing.
If emails could be positively identified as coming from a customer's bank,
then they could ignore those that don't authenticate as spam/phishing/fraud.

Then if your bank doesn't provide this capability, you may decide to change
to a bank that does provide authenticated, secured email comunications with
its customers.

Ltal

Sure. But that relies on educating the users to check for the "identifying mark" (e.g. S/MIME signature, whatever), and ignore any other messages. I think everyone agrees that educating users is not a terribly RELIABLE security mechanism. (And before anyone starts on me, I believe that it is necessary to educate users about security, but if you want to RELY on something, cut them out of the loop if possible).

The neat thing about SSL client certificates, is that it is something that the bank can do, and their clients basically CAN'T mess it up.

Clients NEVER "type" their SSL certificate into an input field. They get used to NOT providing information about themselves. Phishers become OBVIOUS when they ask for this information, and the guy has NO IDEA what he is talking about, because he has never needed to know it for anything else.

The only possible attack against SSL client certs is against the "re-issue" process, I think, and there again, the bank has control. The way I see it, the phisher could try to get the user to "renew" their cert, by providing some authenticating information that the phisher could try to use to get a new cert from the bank. But, the key here is "from the BANK".

The bank is involved in this process of issuing a new cert. The BANK has control over whether to issue or not. If their initial authentication checks were insufficient ("what is your SSN?"), and they start giving certs to the wrong people, they can change their checks to something more robust ("OK, let's have a blood sample") and it can take effect immediately. Not after a massive education program is launched.

Regards,

Rogan
--
Rogan Dawes

*ALL* messages to discard () dawes za net will be dropped, and added
to my blacklist. Please respond to "lists AT dawes DOT za DOT net"