WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Proposal to anti-phishing

From: Rob Skedgell <rob () nephelococcygia demon co uk>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 19:33:43 +0000

On Friday 14 Jan 2005 16:05 pm, Rogan Dawes wrote:
Rafael San Miguel wrote:
Hi all,

I am currently working on a security design that
involves an innovative strategy to combat phishing. I
have something in mind that seems to work allright.

The solution is based in a hardware token that is
delivered to every customer. This token includes the
true certificate that should be presented by the bank
when a customer access his/her account, and a program
that checks if the certificate presented by the
webpage is consistent with the first one. The program
is in read-only memory so that it can't be modified by
anything external to it.

The customer will not be able to access his/her
account if the token is not plugged in, or if the
check fails.
Note that it is the token who sends credentials, not
the client. Also, the token is PIN-protected to
prevent unauthorized use.

I don't see any obvious disadvantages to this
solution.  Hope this helps other people researching
for anti-phishing techniques.

Greetings,

Rafael San Miguel Carrasco

How is this any better than using a SSL client certificate?

Please take a look at the thread that starts
http://seclists.org/lists/webappsec/2004/Oct-Dec/0291.html

and especially
<http://seclists.org/lists/webappsec/2004/Oct-Dec/0347.html> where I
explain why I believe SSL client certificates are really the only
practical solution to preventing phishing.

In particular, with a client certificate, the user's credentials
never leave the computer. There is nothing to type in, so there is
nothing to phish.

If you are concerned about your users uploading a certificate file to
some phisher ("please go to Explorer, Tool/Internet
Options/Content/Certificates/ . . . export your SSL cert into a
PKCS#12 file, with no passphrase, then paste the location of that
file into the following File Upload form" ;-) ), then use a hardware
token that does the crypto operations in hardware.

I don't see that your solution has ANY benefits over what SSL client
certs offer. It sounds like it would be

a) non-standard
b) platform-specific
c) browser-specific
d) in need of replacement every year when the site's SSL certificate
changes, because it is "read-only" memory.
e) not peer-reviewed/scrutinised
f) expensive (but perhaps not QUITE as expensive as a crypto token)
g) user-unfriendly
h) non-intuitive

In addition, I'm not sure how you plan to have it run every time the
site is visited.

Have I missed anything?

Regards,

Rogan

One thing that occurred to me while discussing phishing and other risks
of online banking with friends recently was that perhaps online banking
services could use 2 levels of access:

- a lower level, with userid and password authentication over SSL (as
currently used by the UK banks whose services I have used), allowing
enquiries (balance, history), transfers of funds / bill payments only
where the authority has been set up previously, and 'harmless' requests
like having a statement mailed to the customer's address. No access -
not even read-only would be provided for the customer's address etc,
nor any more than the names of payment instructions (so you might have
'My VISA a/c', but not be able to see the details like destination
account number and reference). This would hopefully let people use
internet cafes etc to pay their bills and check balances without their
balance ending up in Lagos.

- a higher level, additionally requiring both a client-side certificate
*and* a valid IP address range from the customer's nominated ISP which
would allow new payment instructions to be created and other details
viewed/amended.

These would of course only raise the bar, and UK banks appear to favour
increasing *their* security, not the customer's. The current debate on
chip-and-PIN in the UK and the handling of phantom ATM transactions
(see http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mkb23/phantom/ ) should give a flavour.

Of course, if banks digitally signed their legitimate emails and had
done so from the start...

--
Rob Skedgell <rob () nephelococcygia demon co uk>