WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: The ever encroaching blur between web apps and apps

From: "Jeff Williams" <jeff.williams () aspectsecurity com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 10:39:12 -0400

The interesting thing about this trend, to me, is the effect on the trust
relationship between client-code and server-code.  The relationship between
clients and servers has been getting more and more complex -- "the network
is the computer."  Web applications were a big step in this direction, and
it gave attackers have the full range of HTTP to embed their attacks.

I think this latest trend towards richer UI's for web applications will
increase the complexity of the communications between client and server code
even further.  And that is going to open the door for more sophisticated
attacks.  The same argument goes for web services -- more complex
interaction between attackers (er...users) and applications means more
attack surface and more vulnerability.

I would like to see far more thought in these new frameworks about security.
Where both client and server parts protect themselves against attacks.  If
the framework handles all the client-server communications for which events
are handled where, it had better have mandatory provisions for
authentication, access control, validation, error handling, and logging (to
name a few).

So when you're evaluating application frameworks, see which one makes
security mistakes more difficult -- if using it to build a secure
application is theoretically possible but not probable, it won't happen.

--Jeff

Jeff Williams
Aspect Security, Inc.
http://www.aspectsecurity.com