WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Phishing

From: "Griffiths, Ian" <Ian.Griffiths () liv-coll ac uk>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 17:26:20 +0100

Some good ideas there Rogan.  I to feel educating users is a large part of this but how far can you go?  Consider this
(ficticious) URL:

https://secure.bank.com:/logon/12345 () nefarious fraud net/

Fairly easy to set up, completely compliant with protocol, starting with the right thing, looks genuine to the
untrained eye and yet completely unscrupulous.  I've actually seen something similar in the wild and I'm completely
sure it works, spotting this takes more than a passing exposure to knowledge of URL composition.

Ian