WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Phishing

From: Sarah Elan <selan () testsys com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 11:12:23 -0400

One hole I've seen on many large, respected sites are pages that accept any
url as input and will automatically redirect to that url without (appearing
to) perform any validation that the requested url is one which they want to
redirect to.

For example, http://www.trustme.com/url?q=http://www.phishme.com.
Url?q=http://www.phishme.com can be obfuscated with the usual techniques and
the user thinks he is going to trustme.com, when in fact trustme.com has
blindly redirected him to phishme.com.

Redirect pages should always validate against a list of known good urls.