WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Open Source Certificate authority

From: "Chip Kelly" <Chip.Kelly () sas com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:39:39 -0400

The only way to prevent an authentication challenge in a browser is to use a certificate that is vetted to a trusted
root certificate previously installed in the browser. That's what Verisign is selling for $250, a certificate that will
not be challenged by almost any web browser in use on the Internet. To replace the Verisign cert, and still avoid the
authentication challenge, you will need to use a certificate that is similarly vetted to a previously installed trusted
root cert. There are other vendors with similar coverage to Verisign (Baltimore, Entrust, Valicert, etc.) that also
sell SSL certs for a little more than half of what Verisign charges. If you choose to use your own CA, whether its MSFT
or openSSL, you will not be able to avoid the authentication challenge until you vet your root certificate with one of
the trusted root certificates that are already loaded into the browser that your client will use to access your site or
application. That process is costly, since
you are then able to generate an unlimited number of certs, all vetted to a root certificate that is recognized and
trusted.

chip
----
Chip Kelly, GCIA, GCIH, CISSP
Systems and Information Security Manager
SAS Institute Inc.
Chip.Kelly () sas com      RA462
voice:  919-531-7033    fax:919-677-4444
mobile: 919-606-8230 pager: 919-503-7816